As the curtain set on Beautiful: The Carole King Musical in summer 2017, we seized the opportunity to fully restore the theatre to its former glory with 14 weeks of busy work. Along the way we found hidden gems, recreated missing original features and worked tirelessly to ensure that our theatre is the best that it can be for our visitors.
The work included:
- A full redecoration of all public areas, highlighting decadent plasterwork detail in sumptous gold.
- Installation of a new bespoke carpet, taking elements from throughout the building. Every curve and line in the design has been carefully selected from various plaster, wood and metalwork details around the theatre.
- Refurbishing all public toilets.
- A new surround sound system and new seats for the best audience experience.
- Revealing original marble wall detailing in the stalls.
- Recreating features that we spotted in old photographs of the theatre that have since been removed, such as the finials on our banisters.
We are committed to maintaining the beauty of our Grade-II listed building, and will continue to refresh the theatre using original techniques wherever possible, but also taking advantage of modern technology and sustainable materials.
Thank you to our audiences who are helping us to ensure that this special building is around and in good condition for future generations of theatregoers to enjoy.